Sunday, July 6, 2008

Rain, rain, go away

Another gray rainy day in London. I missed the opportunity shot for the day - in the morning, everyone was wearing coats and scurrying about because it was below 60 degrees, windy and raining. You would have sworn it was winter if not for the fully-leafed trees and blooming flowers!

Another museum visit was on the agenda for today. We made an excursion to Trafalgar Square. Lunch was at the Texas Embassy Cantina, a restaurant chain started by Gene Street, who's well-known to Dallasites. I'd love to say that it was superb Mexican food, but I can't. It was the best Mexican food we've had in London, but that's really not saying too much. And the prices, like everything in London, are outrageous. Enchilada dinners are £12-£15 ($24-$30!) Oh well, it was worth a try.

The National Gallery is at Trafalgar Square. You can see the building in this photo behind Lord Nelson's column. The museum is very large, with collections covering about 500 years. My favorites were the impressionists, as usual. My years of high school French class taught me more about these artists than any others, so I'm on familiar ground in a room full of Monet, Degas, Renoir, Matisse, Pisarro, and their contemporaries. The National Gallery does not disappoint when it comes to this era. It's amazing to me that *cough* twenty-seven years after high school, I can still identify these artists on sight. Thanks, Ms. VanderGiesen!


On the way home from the train station, it was raining fairly hard. We walk about 3/4 of a mile from the train to the apartment. Since Katrina's feet were already wet, she set about jumping in every puddle she could find. Not our usual July kind of day, but she was jubilant, and I loved watching her.

No comments: