Monday, June 20, 2011

CAS-ual Fridays Challenge - Color Block

This week's CAS-ual Fridays Challenge is to use color blocks in a project. I had an idea that ended up coming together very quickly. I'm super excited about this design and can't wait to make lots more cards like these. It turns out to be a perfect way to use up lots of those little scraps of cardstock that you can't bear to throw away but are not sure you'll ever use.

A patriotic thank you, perhaps for a soldier?


 A colorful birthday card.


 A sweet card for a friend.


My scraps were cut to 1 1/2 by 3 inches. I marked guidelines on the back to make it easier to get the punches exactly where I wanted them. I love the Tim Holtz Design Ruler for this! I put a black punch-out in the photo below to show where I punch once I have my pieces marked. No need to erase the marks because they're on the back.

Once my pieces were punched, I put dimensional foam in all four corners and adhered them to my card base. There is 1/4 inch between pieces and 1/4 inch at the top and sides. I found it easiest to place the two end pieces first and then center the middle one between them.


Details: stamps - Enjoy the Ride ("happy birthday"), Giga Guidelines ("just because"), Think Big Favorites #4 ("thank you"); paper - Stampers Select White, Kraft, Pure Poppy, Brilliant Blue (Stampin' Up!), Summer Sunrise, Orange Zest, New Leaf, Hawaiian Shores, Lemon Tart; ink - Onyx Black (Versafine)

16 comments:

Michele Gross said...

How fun! Love the punched blocks and your set is just delightful! Glad you played with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Chunyuan said...

Love the bright color and negative punch.

Laurie said...

Chris I ADORE these cards! What a fun idea! So CAS but so fun!! Might have to CASE these! ;) Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Susie said...

I LOVE these!!! I'm saving them to use for inspiration on my Scrappin' Sunday. Thanks for the dimensions, too.

kingstonmama said...

I love these. What a fabulous idea and each one is just perfect.

Becky said...

These are fabulous!!! I love them all! Awesome, awesome job!

Sara Mac said...

What a great set of cards Chris!! I love the patriotic one. Thanks for sharing how you did the punch outs. I always "eye-ball" it and it's never quite right.

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

OH EM GEE! This set made me stop breathing for a minute! Adore the utter simplicity yet brilliant creativity in each and every one of these! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays - looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

Cristina said...

These are fantastic!

Sarah said...

So deceptively simple. I love that you've taken the time to work out a system so that you can make multiples.

TK said...

This is a super design. I CASE'd it for an OWH card making party, hope you don't mind! Thanks. :)

Chris Simon said...

Thanks so much, TK! I don't mind at all - it's an honor to be CASE'd, especially for such a great cause!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the dimensions and details. I love all the cards. Now for the punches!

ValByDesign, Valerie said...

Very nice

Krafty Kathy said...

I LOVE this design!!! Lots of times I need to make a card fast! This is visually impressive without a lot of work and . . . and so versatile!! Thanks!

Kim B. said...

I love these!!! What a great technique!!!!