Thursday, March 20, 2008

Custom storage for 6x6 paper!

Okay, how many of you have a teetering stack of the cute little 6x6 inch packs of patterned paper in your craft space? I have solutions for 8 1/2 by 11 and for 12 by 12, but the 6 by 6 was driving me crazy. I checked all of my various boxes and baskets to see if any would be a good size for the 6x6 paper, but to no avail. I searched online and found a few DVD boxes that would work, but the ones that were the best size for me were also expensive. What's a crafty person to do? Make your own, of course!

I still had some foam core board leftover from my ribbon holder project, so I built a box that works just great. The inside dimensions of this box are 6.5 by 6.5 by 10 inches. As you can see, it holds a ton of paper.

I covered my box with Cutie Pie paper from Stampin' Up! I wrapped the paper over the top edge of the box and down about an inch on the inside, and also wrapped it down onto the bottom of the box an inch or so. I decorated the front with a bunch of white flower rub ons. The dividers are made from the lightweight cardboard that Stampin' Up! uses at the back of their designer paper packs. I cut a bunch of the 12x12 ones down to 6x6. The index tabs were made with the round tab punch and just stapled to the top of the dividers. I took all of the 6x6 pads that I have apart and filed the paper in the box. I think having the pads disassembled will make me more likely to actually use the paper.


Want to see how it was made? Here are the pieces of foam core board waiting to be hot-glued together.


Here is the box all glued together. It was really simple to make. If you make one, let me know! I'd love to see it!

19 comments:

just jenn said...

Now this is cute! I just wish I had the time to do something like this. Great idea!

Amy said...

Great job! I don't have much 6x6 paper or I'd be making one too! Very ingenious! A true crafter!

Anonymous said...

Very clever! Not only was the concept/design clever but now you'll use your paper! Kudos and thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Just got some 6x6 paper yesterday. should be good for some scraps too! thanks again for a great idea msulee

Michelle Woerner said...

Very clever! I am not familiar with foam core, how sturdy is this? I am always looking for ideas of storage :-)

Cassie said...

You are a clever gal!!! I wish you could come help me solve some storage issues!

Anonymous said...

That is such a clever idea. I love making up my own storage ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

Andrea, said...

Fab little box and I love the papers you have used to cover it

Heather said...

What a clever idea! And cute storage, too!!!

~Denise Lynn~ said...

This is a fabulous idea! I love the way your organizer turned out, great papers and rub-ons. This is so fun! :)

Lynn said...

This is awesome!!! It turned out so cute!

Teresa said...

wow I love your Idea's I have been looking for something for my 8x8 and 6x6 stacks also. I also have a tone of little containers too that don't help but take up alot of room

Anonymous said...

WOW, Chris, this is a great project! It would hold all those cards I make that pile up in numerous containers too...hmmmmm
So pretty! TFS

Elaine said...

WOW!! That is awesome! Thanks for the how to! It turned out great!! I love it! I'll have to make one too!

Donna Baker said...

this is fantastic! glad I found your blog, I love your stuff!

Just Me said...

This is a wonderful idea! I am going to try it as soon as I can get some of the board!

Jennifer said...

Fantastic idea...one question, How do you get good clean cuts on your foam core?

PashaCou said...

What a great idea!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have been trying to figure out what to do with mine and I think I'll try to make one of your boxes.
Hugs,
Tammy

Ruby said...

Having this very nice storage box will make your store room look more beautiful and organized. I guess I’ll try this for organizing important documents since I’ve got a pile of papers to be sorted as of this time. I hope I can do that properly, and preferably, also be able to use the shredded papers. :)

[ Ruby Badcoe ]