I've been participating in a thread on splitcoast about unmounting stamps, and I've mentioned several times that I stamp an index on the back of my EZ Mount foam with StazOn ink before mounting the stamp on the EZ Mount. Photos were requested, so I thought I'd post them here as well.
Before the first photo, I stamped the bunny (and the rest of the set too) on the non-sticky side of the EZ Mount while the stamps were still mounted on their original wood mounts. Then I cleaned the stamps with StazOn Cleaner. Next I lifted a little corner of the rubber with my fingernail and hoped that the rubber would pull right off without a lot of goo on the back. I got lucky with this set - it did. Sometimes I have to use some Goo Gone to remove sticky stuff before I can continue.
I'm definitely not a hand model! And this is my seven-year-old's very favorite stamp in the world, which may explain why the poor bunny is so stained. Or maybe we're just stamping slobs!
Anyhow, here's what happens next.
1. Bunny's bare rubber sitting next to the indexed EZ Mount foam.
2. I've cut the bunny-indexed foam away from the rest of the set and now I'm holding it so that I can get a view of both sides to try to line the rubber up with the image as closely as possible.
3. Just another view of the lining-up process.
4. Bunny rubber is stuck down to the sticky side of the EZ Mount.
5. I've cut around the rubber. Be sure to look at the rubber side when you're doing this!
6. Newly-mounted bunny on the acrylic block ready to stamp!
It is definitely a bit more work to mount the stamps this way with the index on the foam, but I sure do like being able to see the image through the block. Now it's not always lined up absolutely perfectly with the rubber on the other side, but usually close enough. Next time I take some pictures, I'll show you how I line up stamps on the block so that I can almost always get away without using a Stamp-a-ma-jig (which used to be my most-used tool).