Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Trimming the tree

I thought it would be fun to show you some of the Christmas tree ornaments that I've made.


This ornament was made from a kit by Basic Grey. Although I've made this type of ornament from scratch many times, the kit sure did make it snappy. The circles are die-cut and already have the triangle folds scored for you, so it's just a quick gluing exercise to complete the ornament. I highly recommend Mono Multi glue for the task. It only takes a tiny bit to do the job, and it dries quickly so that you don't have to spend lots of time holding pieces together.


Here's an even easier kit from Basic Grey. This is the new Figgy Pudding ornament kit. This one was totally not obvious to me from the pictures on the various web sites selling them, but these ornaments are made from a single piece of paper! It starts as a square, with the various patterns printed in a four-pointed star arrangement. It's pre-scored and folds up very simply. Just a bit of glue and it's done!



These two ornaments are made using the Marvy giga punches - circle and oval. I used the retired Holiday Thyme paper from Stampin' Up! I use ten punched shapes per ornament. I also strung some of the pearls and beads from the SU! Pretties kit on the cord. A simple double overhand knot in the end of the cord keeps the beads from sliding off. There are several tutorials available for these. I think that Emily Giovanni came up with these, as an adaptation of a pumpkin design by Stephanie. Amy gives some instructions here that are really easy to follow. I use Mono Multi for these ornaments, rather than the tape mentioned in Amy's tutorial.


This is a pinecone ornament. It's made from lots of 1" by 2" pieces of paper, a styrofoam ball, and about 150 straight pins. Some wide organdy ribbon tops it off. These are definitely a bit of work, but the wow factor is there. I highly recommend a thimble if you make these - the pins really kill your fingers after awhile! Check out this link on Amanda Sewell's blog for instructions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the oval scallop one the best!
I don't see where I can contact you but I have a question about your treasures boxes. I didn't find one for "12 short" Did you create one in that size for the Treasure nuggets? Thanks, Sandy Kay
bobbiesue32@hotmail.com

Lynn said...

Such pretty ornaments! I like the way you hung the beads from the bottom.

Dawn♥ said...

WOWza Chris these ornaments are to die for! OMG I've got to try some of these out! Lovely! :)